There are 12 things that can drain your energy. They are as follows:
- Taking Things Personally
- Holding On To The Past
- Always Checking Social Media
- Over Stressing
- Sleeping In Late
- Fueling Drama
- Having A Poor Diet
- Complaining All The Time
- Not Living In The Moment
- Trying To Please Others
We’ll take a look at Holding On To The Past in this segment. I won’t go in to great detail; just hit a few key points. Also, let me state I am not a doctor or therapist. I can’t lend any expert advice. But I’ve done some research, and I would like to share with you all.
Some people hold on to the past as a means of a Defense Mechanism. This can stem from insecurity, or experiencing an unpredictable event. Holding on and not letting go seems the best way to overcome. Some people experience trauma from childhood abandonment. They experience being tossed from relationship to relationship. Often this causes distrust, which in return makes it hard to let go, and then the person finds that they are holding on to that past. Some people also become overly fearful.
I’ve found myself holding on to the past often because of hurts and unpredictable events from my childhood. For example, I ran away from home when I was in my early teens. My mom dropped me off to my Grandmother’s house. My grandparents were older then, and it was easy for me to walk out unnoticed. A couple of years later my Grandmother passed away. I took it really hard, because I thought me running away placed so much guilt on her that she couldn’t handle it. It took me to get much older to understand and that she died of Cardiac Arrest from a fire in her home.
There are many ways to assist in trying to let go and stop holding on to the past. Here are just a few:
- Make The Decision To Let Go – The commitment to let go has to be there.
- Express Your Pain- Get it out of your system; indirectly or directly.
- Stop being the victim- Don’t blame others. Remember to not place your feelings over everyone else’s.
- Focus On The Present- Focus on the here and now. Try not to relive the past. Acknowledge the past briefly and then go back to the present.
- Forgive Them and Forgive Yourself- This is not a sign of weakness. Blaming yourself can add stress, is unhealthy, makes you lose focus, and can impact others around you negatively. Forgiving yourself can give you peace and happiness.
Again this is the #2 thing that can drain your energy. I hope this helps someone. I know I was able to look at myself and see some of these very things in my life. If you try or have had any experience as well, please leave a comment for me! Stay tuned for Segment 3!
Remember to Stay POSITIVE, Stay MOTIVATED, and Be BLESSED!
While you’re at it, please check out the Daily Chic! Show the owner and creator Brooke J. Sands some love! She has some great pieces at great prices!